Sponsored Project: TSoG X1Active
Design / build / fly a fixed-wing RC aircraft from the ground up with a predefined payload and range.
Sponsoring Patron: Nathan Bowyer
Began: June 9, 2020
Project Summary: The goal of this project is to design, build, and fly a Radio Controlled (RC) Aircraft from scratch. The aircraft will carry a payload to its destination. The design process will use a simplified simulation approach and the build process will use Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) parts to ease the difficulty of aircraft design.
This project will lay a foundation of knowledge and techniques for possible future aerospace projects.
Project Repository: https://github.com/TSoGiants/TSoG X1
An electric powered RC airplane will have the following requirements:
- The aircraft shall be controlable and stable in flight
- The aircraft shall be able to gather sensor data defined in the Sensor Package Capabilities
- The aircraft shall satisfy the minumum performance metrics defined in the Aircraft Performance Metrics section
- The aircraft shall be reasonably easy to transport and/or pack
Detailed Performance Metrics
- Cruising Altitude:
- 25ft, MIN
- 50ft, MID
- 100ft, MAX
- Payload Capacity:
- Mass of Sensor Package (TBD), MIN
- Flight Time:
- 10 min, MIN
- 30 min, MID
- 60 min, MAX
- Runway Takeoff Distance:
- 250ft, MAX (the shorter the better)
Sensor Package Specifications
Sensor Package needs to be able to measure and record…
- Angle of Attack (AoA), Sideslip
- Airspeed (scalar)
- Static Temperature of Air
- Static Pressure of Air
Additional parameters that would be nice to measure and record include...
- Dynamic Pressure of Air
- Orientation of Aircraft
- Position of Aircraft (ex. GPS)
- Velocity of Aircraft (in vector form)
No posts yet.