Terms of Service
(“TSoG”) includes The Shoulders of Giants, Inc., their board of directors, their officers, their volunteers, and employees. By signing up for a TSoG Account or any of the services of TSoG (collectively “Services”) you are agreeing to be bound by the following terms and conditions (“Terms of Service”). Any new features or tools which are added to the current Service shall be also subject to the Terms of Service. You can review the current version of the Terms of Service at any time at www.tsogiants.org/tos. TSoG reserves the right to update and change the Terms of Service by posting updates and changes to the tsogiants.org website. You are advised to check the Terms of Service from time to time for any updates or changes that may impact you.
- 1 Code of Conduct
- 2 Account Terms
- 3 General Conditions
- 4 Rights of The Shoulders of Giants
- 5 Limitation of Liability
- 6 Waiver and Complete Agreement
- 7 Intellectual Property and User Consent
- 8 Photo and Video Release
- 9 Optional Tools
Code of Conduct
Full Article: Code of Conduct
The Shoulders of Giants, Inc. (TSoG) is a youth-serving, community-based organization dedicated to sharing the thrill of scientific discovery. Involvement in our organization's services is subject to the observance of the organization's rules and procedures. All rules and behavioral guidelines extend to participation at live events as well as online conduct on all communication platforms, including but not limited to this website, Discord, and Twitch.
Your use of our Services are subject to the terms of this Code of Conduct, which is incorporated into and subject to our Terms of Service. Any capitalized terms used but not defined within this Code of Conduct have the meaning given to them in our Terms of Service.
All participants of any TSoG Service ("Community Member(s)"), whether it be held in person or online, are subject to this Code of Conduct. This includes staff and volunteers, students of all ages, and other participants such as sponsors or Patrons who have access to or communication privileges within our Services.
Any person who violates this Code is subject to discipline, up to and including removal from the Services.
TSoG is dedicated to providing a positive learning environment for everyone, regardless of age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, religion or lack thereof, education, or socio-economic status.
Modeling positive behavior
Examples of behavior that contribute to creating a positive environment include:
- Being kind to others.
- Behaving professionally.
- Using welcoming and inclusive language.
- Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences.
- Gracefully accepting constructive criticism.
- Focusing on what is best for the community.
- Showing empathy towards other Community Members.
Examples of unacceptable behavior by program participants include:
- Abusive language towards a Community Member.
- Discourtesy or rudeness to a Community Member.
- Verbal, physical, or visual harassment of a Community Member.
- Actual or threatened violence toward any individual or group.
- Conduct endangering the life, safety, health, or well-being of others.
- Failure to follow any agency policy or procedure.
- Bullying or taking unfair advantage of any Community Member.
- Failing to cooperate with a leader or instructor.
- Possession or use of alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs on TSoG’s property or reporting to the program while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Bringing onto TSoG’s property dangerous or unauthorized materials such as explosives, firearms, weapons, or other similar items.
Academic Dishonesty Policy
The Shoulders of Giants aims to help scholars of all ages achieve their academic, professional, and personal growth goals. To help us help you in these pursuits, we ask that you join us in fostering a culture of excellence and integrity.
Within TSoG Services
Community members are expected to maintain academic and professional integrity at all times while conducting themselves within the Services of The Shoulders of Giants. Examples of dishonesty include, but are not limited to:
- Submitting someone else's work as your own, either when completing a Challenge or otherwise.
- Misrepresenting or denying the contributions of collaborators on a group project or activity.
- Providing an intentionally misleading answer to another Community Member.
Outside TSoG Services
While The Shoulders of Giants does not have control of your behavior or academic performance outside of the Services, any action which may, intentionally or unintentionally, implicate TSoG in an act of academic dishonesty will not be tolerated.
Students are encouraged to ask questions freely and seek help from other Community Members, but must clearly identify questions which are directly related to homework, school projects, or other direct academic pursuits. Failure to do so may lead another Community Member to unknowingly "do your homework for you," which is a completely unacceptable violation of their trust and misuse of the generosity of the community.
Community Members responding to questions which have been identified as homework, school projects, or other direct academic pursuits are expected to answer in a way which may help the student solve the problem, but does not "do their homework for them." Examples might include providing suggestions or tips on how to get started on the problem, or providing a solution to a related but 'genericized' problem without providing a direct solution to the original problem itself.
The Shoulders of Giants will strive to enforce positive communication between Community Members both in-person and within our Discord server, as well as over other publicly-visible communication channels (such as Twitch chat). However, TSoG cannot control communication that happens between Community Members in private; for this reason, we strongly encourage our Community Members to refrain from private communication (such as via Discord direct message) when using our Services.
This is especially important when it pertains to communications between Community Members over the age of 18 ("Adult(s)") and Community Members below the age of 18 ("Minor(s)"). Any reports of unwanted private communication between an Adult and Minor will be taken very seriously and may be subject to discipline, up to and including removal of the Adult from the Services.
Creating a Friendly Space
Please remember that all members of the TSoG community are colleagues in the pursuit of knowledge. We expect you to consider the following when engaging in discussion:
- Context and background: Do I have a basic understanding of the context and background of the discussion? Have I made sure to educate myself before asking others to explain things to me?
- Cultural differences: Am I being sensitive to cultural differences and language barriers?
- Experience: Am I considering and not making assumptions about a person's level of experience?
- Support: Am I framing my comments/questions in a supportive, concise and constructive way, offering suggestions for improvement?
- Impact focus: Are my questions focused on the impact on the discussion or project or am I overly focused on minor details?
Once you have considered these points, please feel free to participate in any and all discussions within the TSoG community.
If you believe that someone if violating the code of conduct during a TSoG event, or have any other concerns, please contact us immediately via Discord or by email: email@example.com
- You must be 13 years or older to apply to use the Service.
- To access and use the Service, you must apply for a Services account (“Account”) by providing your full legal name, a valid email address, and any other information indicated as required. We may reject your application for an Account, or cancel an existing Account, for any reason, in our sole discretion. The person signing up for the Services will be the contracting party (“Account Owner”) for the purposes of TSoG’s Terms of Service and will be the person who is authorized to use any corresponding Account provided to the Account Owner in connection with the Services.
- You acknowledge that TSoG will use the email address you provide as the primary method for communication.
- You are responsible for keeping any passwords provided or created, which is your means of entering the platform for accessing content. TSoG cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage from your failure to maintain the security of your account and any passwords that may be provided or created.
- You are responsible for all activity and content such as photos, images, videos, graphics, written content, audio files, code, information, or data uploaded, collected, generated, stored, displayed, distributed, transmitted or exhibited on or in connection with your Account (“Materials”).
- If you do not wish to continue using the Services, you may do so at any time by selecting "Deactivate my Account" under Account Settings. If you wish to permanently discontinue using the Services, you may select "Delete my Account" (please note that all data associated with your account will be lost.)
- A breach or violation of any term in the Terms of Service as determined in the sole discretion of TSoG will result in an immediate termination of your Account and all Services associated with the Account.
You must read, agree with and accept all of the terms in the Terms of Service before you may become a TSoG community member.
- Account support is only provided to active Account Holders and is only available via email. Support questions may be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical support is only provided to active Account Holders and is only available via Discord or during live-streams.
- The Terms of Service shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Texas and the laws of the United States applicable therein, without regard to principles of conflicts of laws. The parties irrevocably and unconditionally submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Texas with respect to any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with the Terms of Service.
- You acknowledge and agree that TSoG may amend these Terms of Service at any time by posting the relevant amended and restated Terms of Service on the website, available at www.tsogiants.org/tos and such amendments to the Terms of Service are effective as of the date of posting. Your continued use of the Services after the amended Terms of Service are posted to the website constitutes your agreement to, and acceptance of, the amended Terms of Service. If you do not agree to any changes to the Terms of Service, do not continue to use the Service.
- You may not use the Services for any illegal or unauthorized purpose nor may you, in the use of the Service, violate any laws in your jurisdiction (including but not limited to copyright laws) or the laws of the United States and the State of Texas.
- You agree not to reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, resell or exploit any portion of the Services, including, but not limited to, access to the Services, without the express written permission by TSoG.
- Questions about the Terms of Service should be sent to email@example.com
- You understand that your Materials may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a) transmissions over various networks; and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices.
Rights of The Shoulders of Giants
- TSoG reserves the right to modify or terminate the Services for any reason, without notice at any time.
- TSoG reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time.
- TSoG may, but has no obligation to, remove Materials and Accounts containing content that it determines in its sole discretion are unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, pornographic, obscene or otherwise objectionable or violates any party’s intellectual property or these Terms of Service.
- Violations of the Code of Conduct will result in immediate account termination.
- In the event of a dispute regarding Account ownership, TSoG reserves the right to request documentation to determine or confirm Account ownership. Documentation may include, but is not limited to, a scanned copy of your government issued photo ID, an school transcripts, etc.
- TSoG retains the right to determine, in its sole judgment, rightful Account ownership and the ability to transfer an Account to the rightful owner. If TSoG is unable to reasonably determine the rightful Account owner, TSoG reserves the right to temporarily disable the Account until resolution has been determined between the disputing parties.
Limitation of Liability
- You expressly understand and agree that The Shoulders of Giants shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages, including but not limited to, damages for loss of profits, goodwill, use, data or other intangible losses resulting from the use of or inability to use the Services.
- Your use of the Services is at your sole risk. TSoG is not responsible for property damage, bodily or personal injury, illness, including injury or illness that may prove fatal as a result from hands-on activities, experiments, or research conducted at home. All users understand and accept responsibility for any losses, damages, costs, and other consequences resulting directly and indirectly from using the Services. Users acknowledge that participation in voluntary activities related to the Services may expose the student to risk of property damage, bodily or personal injury, including injury that may prove fatal. Users also understand that the risks include, but are not limited to risks associated with science and engineering activities and other risks that may not be foreseeable. Users knowingly and freely assume any and all such risks and voluntarily participate in the Services. In exchange for any use of equipment, materials, supplies and for a student being allowed to participate in this program, users hereby release and forever discharge TSoG from any and all claims, demands, rights, expenses, actions, and causes of action, of whatever kind, arising from or by reason of any personal injury, bodily injury, property damage, or the consequences thereof, whether foreseeable or not, resulting from or in any way connected with their student’s use of the Services. Users further covenant and agree that for the consideration stated above, they will hold forever harmless and will not take legal action against The Shoulders of Giants, Inc., their board of directors, their officers, their volunteers, and employees for any claim for damages arising or growing out of their student’s participation.
Waiver and Complete Agreement
The failure of TSoG to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. The Terms of Service constitutes the entire agreement between you and TSoG and govern your use of the Services, superseding any prior agreements between you and TSoG (including, but not limited to, any prior versions of the Terms of Service).
Intellectual Property and User Consent
- TSoG does not claim any intellectual property rights over the Materials you provide in connection with the Services. All Materials you upload remains yours.
- By uploading Materials, you agree: (a) to allow other internet users to view your Materials; (b) to allow TSoG to display and store your Materials; and (c) that TSoG can, at any time, review all the Materials submitted by you to its Services.
- You retain ownership over all Materials that you upload to this Site or other platforms offered by TSoG; however, you agree to allow others to view your Materials. You are responsible for compliance of Materials with any applicable laws or regulations.
- TSoG will not disclose your confidential information to third parties, except as required in the course of providing its Services. Confidential information includes any Materials or information provided by you to TSoG which are not publicly known. Confidential information does not include information that: (a) was in the public domain at the time that TSoG received it; (b) comes into the public domain after TSoG received it through no fault of its own; (c) TSoG received from someone other than you without breach of its or another’s confidentiality obligations; or (d) TSoG is required by law to disclose.
Photo and Video Release
- I understand that The Shoulders of Giants may use and/or reproduce the photographs/videos, likeness, or voice recordings for any internal or external educational, instructional, or promotional activities determined by TSoG in print, broadcast, and electronic media formats now existing or in the future created. I also agree to allow my work and/or photograph to be published on the Site and/or other TSoG publications.
- If you appear in a piece of media used by TSoG that you do not approve of, you may request to have it removed from publication. Please submit such requests in writing via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Shoulders of Giants may provide you with access to third-party tools, which TSoG neither monitors nor has any control or input.
- You acknowledge and agree that TSoG provides access to such tools as is without any warranties, representations or conditions of any kind and without any endorsement. TSoG shall have no liability whatsoever arising from or relating to your use of optional third party tools.
- Any use by you of optional tools offered by TSoG is entirely at your own risk and discretion and you should ensure that you are familiar with and approve the terms on which tools are provided by the relevant third-party provider(s).
- TSoG.tv strongly recommends that users seek specialist advice before using or relying on certain tools.