Last Updated: December 16th, 2019
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file that can be placed on your device that allows us to recognize and remember you. It is sent to your browser and stored on your computer’s, tablet's or mobile device's hard drive or SSD. When you visit this site, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology.
- Keeping you signed in.
- Understanding how you use our site.
- Recommending resources that are relevant to you.
- Enabling third-party services.
Ultimately, this allows us to provide you with content that you read or watch on our site.
Other organisations may also collect user information on our sites through cookies, tags, and pixels. Tags and pixels, also known as web beacons, are similar to cookies but are collected through embedded images.
Using cookies and other technology allows other organisations to help us to analyse how our site is being used and measure the number of visitors to the site. We do not display advertising on this site or sell your information to third party advertisers.
Cookies that are used by The Shoulders of Giants are referred to as "first-party cookies" and those that are used by our partners are "third-party cookies". Because of how cookies work, our website cannot access third-party cookies, nor can other organisations access the data in the cookies we use on our website. There are more details about both in the following section.
What types of cookies do we use?
We use three types of cookies, which we describe in this section.
- Essential – cookies that are essential to provide you with services you have requested. For example, these include the cookies that make it possible for you to stay logged into your account and access account resources. If you set your browser to block these cookies, then these functions and services will not work for you.
- Performance - cookies which measure how often you visit our sites and how you use them. We use this information to get a better sense of how our users engage with our content and to improve our site so that users have a better experience. At this point in time, all cookies used for performance are third-party cookies (e.g. Google Analytics).
- Advertising – cookies that are used to collect information about your visit to our site, the content you have viewed, the links you have followed and information about your browser, device and your IP address. We have set out more details on this below. Although The Shoulders of Giants does not collect advertising information on this site, third party partners such as YouTube and Twitch may collect such information using this type of cookie.
How do I control cookies?
|Third-party||Cookie Type||Notes||Further Information|
|Youtube||Advertising, Various||Youtube is used to embed archived video content on our website. They do use advertising and a variety of other cookie types.||Policies|